What's with the idiots today?

acheron.org discussion board: General Art Scene Threads: What's with the idiots today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 03:35 pm:

Well basically this msg base is in order to discuss about the latest formations of these wannabe groups. First this fruity poor cracking group decides to dawn the name of cia (crackers in action) without doing any research to know another cia has been around for over 5 years now. So now we got another bunch of rocket scientist out there. They are naming their group Ice! Way to go lainbrains. How hard is it to do a simple bit of research before starting a group I mean is it that damn hard to type /j #cia or /j #ice ? Please kids go back to dalnet or where ever the hell you came from cause you got no damn right to try and imitate the original thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 05:09 pm:

Yeah, shit, didn't hear about the CIA group, haha.. Shit, I would have to agree.. I mean, even admitting that the group name might cause a bit of confusion in the news post in itself shows a little of that thing called brain power. If you know its going to cause confusion, especially with a larger and way more experienced group, then why name your own group than name? Duh..

And if it's to get exposure and make people notice you it sure worked.. Not because people are interested in the group, but rather why the hell they'd be so stupid to actually name a group with the acronyms CIA or ICE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pseudointellectual on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:08 pm:

There was another Cia before Napalm's ansi art group "Cia"; the Central Intelligence Agency. However, they felt that the name wouldn't cause a great deal of confusion as they operate in different spheres. Fair enough. Cia the cracking group also operates in a different sphere from Cia the ansi group. Where's the problem? So long as the name isn't simply dropped but is actually used in some context, there shouldn't be any problems figuring out what is being talked about.

The Ice thing is a different matter, but everyone here is ignoring the fact that the group isn't actually named ice - it only happens to have an acronym which ends up spelling the same thing. Though these two groups are active in the same sphere, I don't think there's much risk of people confusing them. "Did you see the ToonGoon ansi in the last ice pack?" (Hm... I wonder which ice he's talking about?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 11:50 am:

erm. you really can't blame such WaReZ groups as ice, or cia. hell even twilight and legion are warez groups. i mean not EVERYONES life revolves around irc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mongi on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 12:19 pm:

Even if YOU don't confuse iCE and ICE, it's utterly stupid. New people might confuse them... except from the confusion, they could have chosen a different name, since they are in the same scene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By darkmage on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

actually, the ice warez group's life does revolve around IRC...specifically lame attempts to take over #iCE. I dunno...maybe if they could at least do something good for the name, instead of releasing a pr0n CD, followed two months later by acid rock....woo!

Ditto for the IC Exposure fucknuts.

iCE's viewers are not limited to people on IRC, nor are they limited to people involved in some 'scene', be it art or warez. We take pride in our work, and don't want it to be confused with things that are not ours (ie: shitty 'art', 4th rate warez pups, etc.)

-darkmage [iCE]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 01:45 pm:

Granted that if the two groups operate within different spheres, there shouldn't be too much confusion. But even then one can argue that any sane group leader would choose a name that would not lead to confusion, so that his/her own group would be seen as a seperate entity and group in its own right.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the IC Exposure leader is not sane :) WEll, maybe he isn't, but that's fairly unlikely.. ICE and iCE -- i mean, come on..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nightstalker on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 03:39 pm:

it's 'iCE' and 'ICE' :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By root88 on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 09:54 pm:

Not to mention to five thousand idiots a day that join our irc channel begging for the serial number for Acidrock because Ice99 forgot to include it in the release.

There entire group is run on irc, they could have easily /j'ed #ice before they started. Now they waste both our time by trying pathetic takeover attemps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 11:37 am:

Just to throw in another interesting anecdote here.. the art group Fire that we all knew and still love released its first art pack in July 94, fire0794.zip. You can imagine my surprise when one day while looking in the cdrom.com directories, I saw a fire0694.zip and fire0494.zip.

I got these packs, and it turns out they were released by a Swiss group called Fire Skull, shipped complete with a smooth-scrolling fireview.exe. As far as I can tell, they only released these two packs, and it just so happens that their last pack was released the month before Fire's first pack, and that they had the same file naming system. Imagine the mess if they had been around for longer than just those 2 packs. :)

Anyway, to put my two cents in.. I'd think that if groups are in different scenes and have the same name, then that shouldn't be a big deal.. it's pretty unavoidable if you ask me. If they're both art groups like this iCE/ICE thing though then yea, I think there's a reason to be upset about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 01:49 pm:

That Fire anecdote is a little bit of weird news I can tell you -- very strange :) I mean, what the hell are the odds of that happening?

Hey, maybe they heard about another group called Fire starting and thought screw it, and killed themselves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 10:20 pm:

By pseudointellectual on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:08 pm:
There was another Cia before Napalm's ansi art group "Cia"; the Central Intelligence Agency. However, they felt that the name wouldn't cause a great deal of confusion as they operate in different spheres. Fair enough. Cia the cracking group also operates in a different sphere from Cia the ansi group. Where's the problem? So long as the name isn't simply dropped but is actually used in some context, there shouldn't be any problems figuring out what is being talked about.

Hm another witty post by a anonymous poster boy what a fine spine we have =). Anyhow if you wanna get technical you could say that about several groups. Rca and Zenith two companies that make electronics, Fire and Ice two elements of nature so get off it. It's clear and simple the creators of this fake ice did obviously no research to find out this kind of shit isn't tolerated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Pseudo-but-still-more-intellectual-than-thee on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 10:57 pm:

It seems to me that if they had done the research and looked at the examples you have neatly provided me with, they would have conclusive proof that such shit is in fact tolerated.
We leveled no sanctions against those groups. What reason would they have to believe that we'd act against it in this instance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 11:11 pm:

Its mocking another art group to try to bring fame to their name cause they are wanna be's they wanna be like ice. They need a new name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By fever on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 12:11 am:

In regards to Filths' "not everyones life evolves around irc" statement. Well, mine does, i was sitting in #compton the other day waiting for my #crackfiends to come up with the illegal immigrant #teens when all of a sudden the #cia shows up and /kills me, i spent nearly a week in the #ER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 12:14 am:

>They need a new name

no, they need to be banned from scene, especially if they doesnt bother even to take part to this. their packs shouldn't be reviewed and a ban to artpacks archive.. just like fluid's and that kinds of stuff that doesnt BELONG to scene =).

internet will bring a lot shit into the scene, where's the loyalty for this scene?, how many people releasing in future does know what is a zip, or for example acheron. i really hate to see people recruiting (releasing) stuff from people that doesnt even be on net. that's so l-a-m-e, isnt there any better things to do, like tetrinet or quake =).

maybe we should all ask from our friends some pictures to release, and have 200-300 new packs next month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jp on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 06:18 am:

yeah, i agree.. i can't stand the thought of someone not on the internet being involved in a bbs related scene.. it just tears me up.

(sarcasm)

you've got to remember that there's a huge learning curve... not everyone can as ereet as you. there's no bbses to "grow up" on anymore, people just have to loaf around on irc until eventually they know something about something, which takes a while judging from most of the people coming in to the scene now. i can't believe someone is actually complaining about new kids coming in to the scene... it's extremely selfish even if you think they are all "shit." if the people that founded this scene had all had your attitude none of us would be on here right now... where's your loyalty?

(help! i don't BELONG to the scene! oh dear!)

bah

oh yeah, it's not like the internet is any lamer, how many of you guys had local groups of "lamers" who didn't know what zips were get together and make local art groups... it's just a little easier on the net. if they're that lame then their packs will probably suck, right? and everyone will know they suck, right? and if they don't suck, well.. hey.. welcome to scene.

jack phlash (gutter recruiter)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By crayONOFF on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 07:20 am:

gee, that Anonymous person seems really dumb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 08:47 am:

Anyone and Everyone though has heard of ACID, ICE, CIA ect.. I mean no matter what boondocks of a area code you lived in some how some way you have seen some of the art these groups are 4+ years So there is no way in hell they could not have seen these groups. They simply neglected to doing research, any idiot can get on irc and join a channel and see if anyone's there. Any idiot can join #ansi and find out about #ans, Any idiot can find out about acheron.org and hirez.org so Ignorance to this level is a little far fetched. Now let's see if this is a local group from some area code well that one person that posted the news that knew about this place knew! An if he knew then ignorance can't be claimed! It's a simple lack of research and a lack of respect. An forever in the eyes of most they will be seen as wanna be's till they rectify the situation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mongi on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 09:18 am:

Well, they clearly knew about iCE's existance, since they mentioned the risk of confusion themselves in the news..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 10:22 am:

"By Anonymous on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 12:14 am:
>They need a new name

no, they need to be banned from scene, especially if they doesnt bother even to take part to this. their packs shouldn't be reviewed and a ban to artpacks archive.. just like fluid's and that kinds of stuff that doesnt BELONG to scene =). "

no, you need to shut the fuck up you pussy until you're man enough to stop posting anonymous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 01:30 pm:

Yeah, that's a good point about knowing of acheron's existence, yet somehow not realising the utter stupidity of naming a group as they did. Just to clear one thing up, the "THis may lead to confusion" statement was actually an after-thought on the posters part, it coming in a second news post -- I just thought I'd post them as the same news item :) (So it didn't look even sillier).

IC Exposure need to change their name..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD (dyn54-t1.twistercom.com - 207.235.39.104) on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 04:54 pm:

Heh thankyou for agreeing
heh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By tomi (darth.nls.fi - 195.156.38.2) on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 10:32 pm:

crayon, filth

i talked about the new age hirez groups like IC-e is. i talked about people who are rippers for fame, people that have anything to do with the scene but just send a vga with email to someone just to release it (net-recruited guys releasing their old stuff), or people who release art by scanning from their friends, or just taking other's name with knowing it.

so this is ok?

fuck you this time, buds ...
well, if you need those guys for scene - ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jp ( - 206.23.216.5) on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 05:45 am:

hehehe. uhm, surely they would have seen at least one acid pack, and surely most acid packs contain references to the other major old groups like ice and cia. surely. allwell. i guess ice is just a fly name.

jack phlash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mongi (beryllium.k.kth.se - 130.237.75.75) on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 06:38 am:

I didn't really get what Tomi was going at..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BD ( - 198.64.44.232) on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

Mongi none of us did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth (svcr-247ppp240.epix.net - 205.238.247.240) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 12:51 am:

yah, i wasn't even talking about IC-E :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Leonardo.iCE (remote-a36.mlc.net - 199.217.161.227) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 08:19 pm:

---Quote from Defacto2:-----------------------------------------

TOPIC: ICE99's Acid Rock

"Looks like this was released without required serial number.......
If anyone knows of a working serial for this or for CD Architect iso (same problem), can they help out?
Thanx......."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

heh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By liceybaby (bootp-231-230.bootp.virginia.edu - 128.143.231.230) on Tuesday, February 9, 1999 - 02:28 pm:

Now I want to start a group called Rock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By thext (cr618396-a.crdva1.bc.wave.home.com - 24.113.55.86) on Tuesday, February 16, 1999 - 11:00 am:

Hey lickpimp, Silver Rat beat you to it :P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth (svcr216-37-167ppp54.epix.net - 216.37.167.54) on Tuesday, February 16, 1999 - 01:33 pm:

actually that was RoC. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse (px1.syd.aone.net.au - 203.12.178.133) on Tuesday, February 16, 1999 - 09:15 pm:

Details details..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice (bootp-231-230.bootp.virginia.edu - 128.143.231.230) on Wednesday, February 17, 1999 - 10:39 am:

ohh. I know about RoC.. that group was local to me. Panacea was in that group for a while I think.

Still that's not Rock. :) ah well forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By atom (tibet-43.ppp.hooked.net - 206.80.9.171) on Wednesday, February 17, 1999 - 06:19 pm:

synopsis is mine, so back off :)

another amusing anectode... theres an aol warez/vivo group named dark. its fun getting these joebob!superleet@*.ipt.aol.com asking for v1v0 z3ra\/\/... plus its fun playing with goths in #dark... but go figure.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: