Why the disrespect for bbs's?

acheron.org discussion board: ANSI Threads: Why the disrespect for bbs's?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ralgoth on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 01:17 am:

okay.. why in the world does everyone disrespect bbs's so much these days? bbs's should be even more active and fun than they were in the past, since we can all get to them through telnet for FREE! but, there are many misconceptions that are hurting bbs's.. i'm going to dispell them here:

#1 telnet bbs's are too slow:
Hello! you all used to spend like $100 a month calling l/d boards on a 9600 or 14.4 which really isn't that much faster than telnet bbs's.. and they're FREE!
#2 there's nothing to do:
Well, that's dumb.. you always had tons of stuff to do before... discussion.. bbs's are the perfect places for discussions like this, plus you don't even have to be so related to the scene like this is, and it's even easier to use in my opinion... plus you still have doors and files!
#3 there are no good boards:
there have been plenty of well SETUP boards (afterlife, infect's, idle dreams, etc) but it's up to YOU to make it a GOOD board.. you need to go on, post (not just look around and leavE).. etc, you all are responsible for making it what it was before...

come on people! keep bbs's going!

ralgoth
+o idle dreams - telnet://idledreams.nws.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By god among lice on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 01:17 am:

>>These discussions don't have to be about art or the scene -- that's why there is a 'non-scene related' section -- talk about whatever you guys want: sex, girls, boys, dogs, cats, weird sexual practices, etc.. <<

hehe. aren't the first 5 in that list just subsets of the last one? ;)

In theory, I think the great thing about bbs's is that you're going to a place that has it's own stuff. Maybe you could find it somewhere else, but you're still going to this one specific place to get it, along with all sorts of other things, discussions, files, games, whatever. I don't like the way the internet is separated into ftp, usenet, email, irc, www, and most of the time using different apps for every one of those. There's less of a sense of unique place, and it's more like you're just using these tools to get stuff sent to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By sephiroth on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 01:19 am:

danger : bbs's are/was the core of the scene man..
ralgoth : the regular phoneline bbs's where much faster....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 01:20 am:

Seph, I don;t recall saying that they ever weren't the core of the scene..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By sph on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 06:48 am:

you did, you said to have this discussion in the
'non-scene related conf' or something..uh forget it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 01:56 pm:

If you read what I said in the context of one of your previous posts you'll notice I was refering to just regular chit-chat, not this particular thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By konami on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

I don't call BBS's anymore. all the information in the scene is on IRC. the groups HQ is irc channels and webpages. BBS's are mearly for entertainment or nastalga's sake nowadays. you know all people do on TELNET boards nowadays is play L.O.R.D. we don't need BBS's to fuel the scene anymore, infact.. it would help the scene grow if we destroyed that conception and just drew ansis on our free will and creativity instead of doing so damn many "bbs requests"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Wednesday, January 27, 1999 - 06:03 pm:

YEah, you've raised an interesting point there, and I think I;m gonna start a new thread :) Come one, come all, and join me :>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By cybergod on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 04:04 am:

Never forget where ansi's exploded into a nice artform. We have Boards to thank for a lot of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By seph0 on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 06:32 am:

danger : oh, sorry then :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 12:36 pm:

i agree about bbs's being mostly used for nastalga reasons. but still, if a lot of boards popped up, it'd spice up the scene a little. not only that, but it'd fuel the want and need for ansi art. anymore i look at telnet boards the same way i do emags. you don't really need them, and the scene doesn't really require them, but they're fun things to have, and to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By avengerbm on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 07:16 am:

um.

some words about "we dont need bbsīs anymore".
unlike the u.s. phoning is quite expensive in many countries and being idle on irc all day is not that much fun imho.
in germany we have recently re-set up a fido-like message network (like cybercrime) and it contains 1000 times more serious + funny conversations than irc does.
in my opinion bbsīs serve the purpose of communication times better, itīs much more a family atmosphere.
plus i like to see who visits a site/bbs
take acheron, maybe 1000s of people read my message, but i dont know it. itīs totally anonymous - in a board you have lastcallers and stuff and you know at once who is visiting it.
last point:
i hate the "steril" look a like of windows and internet in general.

call boards

welp.
avenger/blackmaiden

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

yes i agree. ansi/bbs's have this more personal look. i guess you could say ansi sort of restricts your artistic capabilities, but that's ok. i'd rather call/telnet to a good bbs any day over getting on a web page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 02:24 pm:

avenger: see my architects for online spaces thread. I'm totally against the sterile windows look and the limited capabilities of the web, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu of Mistigris on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 03:15 am:

The advantages of BBSes over the internet is the sequential nature of them. Everything on the net is simultaneous, thus requiring you to pay superficial attentoin to everything before getting swept away and left behind by the neverending flow of inane chatter. BBSes give you time to mull over what you're going to say, actually THINK about it, and the opportunity to then express your thoughts in a long, coherent, organized manner.

For something similar just compare the conversations here (and much moreso on hirez.org's discussions, where long posts are quite common) to what we'd probably talk about on IRC.

"You said 'assrape'! That's it, I'm kickbanning you fux0r because you're giving our channel a disrespectful air." - actual irc quote from tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 02:22 pm:

i think the problem with a lot of people and telnet is that most people don't see the point. being an ansi artist, i like bbs's becuase they deal with ansi. but from my local calling area, i was _the_ only ansi artist. so if there were 150 bbsers in the area, i'd probably be the only one to see the point of calling. becuase most people just think "why bother with bbs, when i have the www?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 10:44 pm:

Cth, Yes, I would have to agree.. The BBS experience is much more laid back, and even more personal than IRC -- were the common user has to switch between numerous windows and private chats every second just to see who the hell is talking to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By maestro on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 05:06 am:

geez. don't you guys ever get tired of the same old "BBS' ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE INTERNET!" conversation? THEY ARE NOT COMING BACK! When will you realize that life moves FORWARD and not BACKWARDS. The internet is where it's at for now so you need to accept that and move on with your life. If that's something you just can't handle, take what you loved of the original ANSi/Text based Bulletin Board System and try to incorporate some of those elements into the unescapable world wide web. Of course if that idea makes you constipated you could always just stop your whining, download a copy of renegade and PUT UP A BOARD! WOW! WHAT A CONCEPT!

BBSlUvA> "Boo hoo! BBS' are dead! I feel like kicking myself in the nutz!"

sMaRtAss> "Do you have a BBS up and running?"

BBSlUvA> "Uhh.. No."

sMaRtAss> "Ok, then go kick yourself in the nutz because your whining makes me sick."

ADAPT YOU WEENIES! ADAPT!@#$ Adapting to new situations and enviroments is a part of life. Learn something from all of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 01:32 pm:

Maestro, If you read my initial post for this topic, you will that I myself believe that the 'holding on' to the old BBS days is what is killing the scene, because with this mentality, people still think that ANSI needs the BBS to survive, when in fact most of the time people will draw ANSIs for non-existent BBSs anyhow..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 01:33 pm:

Maestro, In the "Are BBSs killing the scene" topic -- I got lost :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By maestro on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

Yeah I hear ya danger. I wasn't directing that to you. I was just speaking in general. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 05:20 pm:

YOu WANNA GO DO YOU!()&#$ ILL TAKE YOU ON MATE, DON'T YOU WORRY!)&^&!$

Yeah, that's cool man :>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By maestro on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:07 pm:

hahah. you're cool. being australian must rule just because you can use words like "mate". :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu of Mistigris on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:12 pm:

Progress is not always an advance. The Internet technology is superior to BBSes in several regards, primarily those of ubiquity user-friendliness, but it is worse at doing a lot of other things. In most cases the increases in hardware demands and expenses (a Windows machine and an ISP account) have resulted in a dillution of quality of content - you learn a heck of a lot more reading an echomail network for a half hour than you do spending 30 minutes on the IRC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 01:53 pm:

Maestro, Haha.. Oh yeah, the great thing about being Australian is that I can also use words such as Bonza, Mate, and Beer with the same sentence. :)

Cth, I'd say you learn pretty much nothing on IRC except how to insult other doodleboys and kick people. But the Internet has a lot more, in my eyes, going for it than the BBSs did, and that's primarily why we are even having this conversation. If the Internet fad had never taken off, we'd all still be logging onto a BBS and wondering if a scene even existed outside of our own area code, let alone the rest of the world.

I think the net has brought a lot of things the old BBSs never could have. And I guess this can be said in reverse as well. THe BBS had a few things that the Web will never really be able to replicate fully.. BUt as maestro said -- let's move on, the past is the past. WE can remember the past for what it was, but let's not dwell on it and think the scene can't survive without it.

(Cth, btw, that all wasn't directed at you, most of it was ranting :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By skaboy on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 09:23 pm:

this is just kindof in response to what cthulu wrote (pasted below) .. damn umm heh not only do i agree with what u haveto say, but shit yer a fucking good writer dood, goddamn :) why doesnt mist start releasing lit again? with those wordy skills no one could fuckin compare :) heh (kindof off topic post i know), but i keep hearin how "scrollz is #1!", and personally ive been turned of from lit b/c i find the writing level/skill level of the authors to not be enough to grab my attention (plus shit everything ive read is fucking dark, people trying to be poetic - i hate that :) so umm yeah, well cthulu hows about it? i recognise yer skills, im impressed, why not start writing again? give others a "run for their money"? ehe :)

-a bored skaboy :)

>The advantages of BBSes over the internet is the >sequential nature of them. Everything on the net >is simultaneous, thus requiring you to pay >superficial attentoin to everything before >getting swept away and left behind by the >neverending flow of inane chatter. BBSes give >you time to mull over what you're going to say, >actually THINK about it, and the opportunity to >then express your thoughts in a long, coherent, >organized manner.
>
>For something similar just compare the >conversations here (and much moreso on >hirez.org's discussions, where long posts are >quite common) to what we'd probably talk about >on IRC.
>
>"You said 'assrape'! That's it, I'm kickbanning >you fux0r because you're giving our channel a >disrespectful air." - actual irc quote from >tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu of Mistigris on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 10:07 pm:

(advance apologies for the off-topic reply to the off-topic comment 8)

My current creative output is being invested in self-publishing (not electronically but physical paper 'zines you can hold in your hand) and spoken word. When I have something to say which this medium will work best for, I can assure you that you will be seeing more from me.

Mistigris members as well continue to create and the art mounds up in heaps and heaps. A synthesis is being sought where we can create in the mediums which we most enjoy while simultaneously reaching the largest audience. Some of it, such as raw text, will no doubt ultimately percolate back down to the scene. Other aspects of it, such as live performances and endeavours in the radio medium, are less likely to.

Ultimately all of our creative output is designed to end up in computer-readable formats, though not ones necessarily used widely by members of the underground artscene - spoken word and performed music in .MP3 and realaudio, for instance, or large animations - that sort of thing, distributed through high-bandwidth internet connections and custom-pressed CDs. The goal is not to release packs but projects, of thematically coherent work which actually has relevancy and consistancy and isn't just the artistic equivalent of flipping channels or randomly surfing on web links.

If Scrollz really is the best thing the underground scene has to challenge us with, we have better things to do than address the challenge. (... like pick the lint out of our navels.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (melnc01.bigpond.com - 139.134.27.10) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 02:21 am:

christo, sigh. bbs's will always be better than the internet. i dont even think that there is a 'scene' anymore without boards. and no telnet isnt what i had in mind, but by god at least its giving things a fucking shot. i closed down my dialup board this year because well fuck it ruled but no one called it. im setting up a new one for you internet jackasses to telnet to (maybe). what the fuck is the point of ANSI without boards? do you use ANSI art in your school assignments, or in your autoexec.bat make a pretty 'hello lovely user, how can i sex you today' file or something? .. avenger had it right when he said that bbs's are more of a family thing, and its true.. not EVERYONE can sit on irc all day like the americans :) bah im just talking as much shit as you all are.. add this to the list of useless messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Quip (cap-025.capcollege.bc.ca - 134.87.38.89) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 09:13 am:

"What the fuck is the point of ANSI without boards?"

(a) It's a hobby. People enjoy drawing it. Isn't that enough? If the scene died tomorrow, I wouldn't delete Aciddraw, nor would I stop drawing ANSI until it became boring and I wasn't having fun with it.

(b) While I was in high school, I would use ansi in some of my cheezier compsci assignment. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By filth (svcr-94ppp76.epix.net - 199.224.94.76) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 01:29 pm:

ansi is a hobby for me, that's why i do it. and i'm sure it's the same for others.

about callin boards. fuck that. i don't feel like spending money on that. i got drugs to do. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By stime (s097.groningen.bart.nl - 194.158.177.97) on Monday, March 15, 1999 - 01:50 pm:

please, let the ppl decide for themselfs what to do.
eighter dail a fucking board or dail your isp..
what does it matter, the 2 are connected..
ppl get shit from inet and upload it on boards who hatch it true their local echomail networks,
and so back..

just do what you think is the best for you..
damn you only live once..
it's not BBS vs. INET

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse (px1.syd.aone.net.au - 203.12.178.133) on Monday, March 15, 1999 - 06:57 pm:

I dunno what planet your living on, but the net and the bulletin board networks are competing communication mediums, no matter how you look at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu is oldschool (cap-948.capcollege.bc.ca - 204.239.154.148) on Monday, March 15, 1999 - 07:11 pm:

Where's the competition? They hardly compare...

The BBS experience remains far superior to the supposed vast reams of content (there are reams of something, though) and instantaneous garbage replies the 'net can generate.

The best aspect of the net (read: this here) is directly ripped off of BBS-style message posts, and the port is an inferior one. QED. 8)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: