The situation of the ascii scene

acheron.org discussion board: ASCII Threads: The situation of the ascii scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 03:51 am:

Hi guys, I'd like to remind you a long forgotten word, it's called "competition" !!!
The ascii scene is all about competition, it's what makes the scene interesting and worth our while. Though there are some group leaders (COUGHblackjackCOUGH) who do their best in killing off the need for competition and making the scene "one happy place" the competition must go on, there must be more groups, and those of you who have spare time should do something about it, I promise you my support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By volatile (ras1-p3.hdr.netvision.net.il - 62.0.176.5) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 04:18 am:

competition, my mate?
well first of all, there's no competition, because of:
1. limited artistic resources, most scene members are in more then one group, and how can competition live when artists is in more then one of the competitors...
2. the scene is very idle, then when i mean idle i mean numb, meaning stuff that used to upset us and give us shit to talk about for days, is just not there anymore...

maybe we grew up, and then again, maybe not...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Konami (ts7-35t-18.idirect.com - 209.161.242.113) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 08:42 am:

You guys are out of your fucking gourds! Black Jack and I founded Mimic to be competitive, I don't know where you get off saying there isn't enough competition. HELLO? Martz, maybe if you where actually in the ascii scene and not just comfortably drifting in and out between army shifts, you could see clear as day, Karma, Remorse and Mimic have been compeating for quite some time now, the ascii scene is the most competitive it has been for years. Your just mistaking a new-found RESPECT between group leaders, one that has been sorely missing in the past, for a lack of competition.

I pity you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 09:03 am:

You pity me? ohh well, I'm not gonna go into that crap. Mimic and Remorse aren't competitive, and anyone can see that. It's because mimic leadership is too busy licking remorse's ass.
I havn't seen even one "mimic owns remorse" argument, Necromancer banned serial2n and bj didn't say shit about it, it's because he's too afraid, bj doesn't want competition, wake up konami.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By konami (ts7-35t-18.idirect.com - 209.161.242.113) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 10:41 am:

Your the one who should wake up, Black jack is aggresive enough as it is, believe me. oh, your idea of "competitive" is us saying HEY MIMIC OWNS REMORSE, GU-FAH!@#. No, sorry but your so outdated. the days of those childish antics are over. Serial Toon was banned because he was always out of line with his ops, and me and Black Jack may aggree, (besides there's nothing we can do about what Necrom wants without taking over #ascii) I'm sorry but this is the artscene, peacefullness is ideal, if anything the artscene should be about friendship and sharing, not zealotry and hate. if you want blood stay with the army. It's your additude that I pity, that you think people have to hate each-others guts for there to be true competition. Well excuse the scene for growing up without you. Go away if you don't like it, hell if I'll piss a whiney twit like you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Black Jack (opstor1.globalserve.net - 209.90.128.25) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 10:58 am:

Before Mimic was formed, Remorse AND Karma both released roughly every 2-3 months. We sparked a competative trend that remains to this day. If you think we did that to attempt to takeover all groups and kill the scene, you're an idiot.

Some people are just dumb.

And Martz, I *did* talk to Necromancer when s2n got banned. I just didn't whine about it in the channel, like you do. You see, there are other methods of internet communication. *shock*.

Get a clue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Necromancer (sjc-pm3-ppp62.qpt.com - 209.249.35.62) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 12:46 pm:

I would like to point out that Remorse has never released every "2-3 months." Only a couple of times in our history have we been late, and never 3 months late.

But that's irrelevant.

What matters IS the state of the scene. And I'll tell you this: nothing has really changed. Only the faces, only the status. That is all. The same number of groups are alive that were alive months ago, that were alive 2 years ago. The only time things were different were when the ascii scene was just starting, near the end of Remorse's first incarnation and the beginning of Trank. Lots of groups then.

Attitudes have changed. People have matured.

Discofunk came to me a couple days ago and asked if he could be unbanned in #acid. I said, "Sure, and I'll unban you in #ascii and #remorse if you want." You know what he said? "No, don't do that. Just #acid. If you unban me in #ascii and #remorse, I'll probably just fuck up again."

That's maturity, folks. Something that's been a long time coming.

I say, "VIVA LA SCENE" and the newfound maturity.

- Necromancer
ACiD. Remorse. Your Mother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By crayONOFF (dialup182-1-50.swipnet.se - 130.244.182.50) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 02:59 pm:

disco isn't exactly the pinnacle of maturity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Black Jack (opstor1.globalserve.net - 209.90.128.25) on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 09:55 pm:

What? Why the *fuck* are you commenting on disco's behavior? You're a god damn ansi artist, your whole scene is full of fucked up immature idiots.

Man, do you even know what you're talking about? What do you know of disco? You don't know him, all you know is that he's taken a few chans.. big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By crayONOFF (dialup172-4-23.swipnet.se - 130.244.172.215) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 03:08 am:

Yes, I'm a god damn ansi guy and yes my scene is full of immature fuckers.. But why does that mean that I'm one of them?

And I do know of Disco, since he hangs out in #ans all the time... So i _DO_ know him... Don't always assume that people don't what they're talking about because they think differently from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 09:48 am:

Yeah, times have changed indeed.
Konami - you can cuss and cry all you want, I stand behind my words, there is almost NO competition in the scene, and I can feel it in every bone of my body. I used to strive for packs to be released, wait for them anxiously, and check every single piece of ascii when I finally got them. Times have changed, people have "matured", but is it for the better ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By WindRider (ps1he.ss.wave.shaw.ca - 24.64.3.186) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 10:20 am:

Odd, you seem to enjoy having no competition, or at least that's the message you convey over in the lit threads. So either you're in favor of everyone coming together as one big happy family, or you're not. Changing the medium should have nothing to do with it.

Just because it's ascii doesn't mean we have to be at each other's throats.
Just because it's lit doesn't mean we have to get all touchy-feely and work together for some greater good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 11:07 am:

The lit scene, my friend, cannot have much of a competition due to the lack of writers. the competition in the lit scene is little because Scrollz owns the lit scene. besides, you can't read lit and say "my lit's better than yours".
The ascii medium, as an eye candy, can be compared, and the amount of artists allows a competition to take place.
duh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Black Jack (opstor1.globalserve.net - 209.90.128.25) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 11:20 am:

Crayon- Dude, you know disco from irc. That's not knowing him, that's fucking seeing him in an irc channel. Get real, most people on irc don't know each other.. this isn't about that though. This is about accusing someone of something they're usually not. Disco is *not* immature, if anything he's just a little power-hungry, but then again.. most of us are....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By WindRider (cs29210-a.sshe1.sk.wave.home.com - 24.64.98.55) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 11:33 am:

Aw, that's so cute.

Of course you can read literature and say it's better than other lit. To say otherwise it to say that James Joyce, Shakespeare, Jack Kerouac, Tim Allen, Jackie Collins, W.P. Kinsella, Stone the Crow, and Isded are all interchangeable and indistinguishable.
As a thinking, feeling person, I can absolutely say this lit is better than that lit, just as I can say this ascii is better than that ascii. That doesn't mean everyone agrees with it, but I can still say it.

I can hardly wait to see what kind of a beating Vision will lay down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Black Jack (opstor1.globalserve.net - 209.90.128.25) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 11:45 am:

Comment on volatile's "idle" statement -

The ascii scene is hardly idle. The fact is, people have other things to do, other priorities than the scene. IRCNet is much more idle than we are, so are you going to say that the amiga scene is dead? Dying? Idle?

No, you're not.. because you love your precious amiga scene.

PFFT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 01:20 pm:

Yeah whirr, I suppose you're right.
Visions is a blessed initiative, but can't lay down a beating on a group who has 30+ writers.
btw, you *could* help me out with my e-zine, it's gone web, and I could use some writers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By maestro ( - 209.94.128.4) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 09:14 am:

necrom, hiro and chex own all your moms. that's my "ascii" content related input for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By crayONOFF (dialup178-3-10.swipnet.se - 130.244.178.138) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 09:17 am:

You get an insight to the persons personality, the one they decide to show on IRC at least.. and I can only judge people from their IRC personalities, because I've only met like 2 ansi peeps and they're gone now... And i do believe i have a right to judge disco based on how he acts on IRC, because how he acts on IRC is how he acts on the scene.. in a sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By volatile (ras2-p48.hdr.netvision.net.il - 62.0.176.172) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 11:51 am:

blackjack: the amiga scene is on a diffrent state of mind then the pc scene, allways been, its a chilled out, scene, however the pc scene is more alive and allways was...

diffrence is that in pc scene there's some elements that the amiga scene does not have...
like politics are taking a big toe, in the amiga scene there isn't any politics, which is partly good and has its pros and cons...

to martz:
have you considered that whats missing is not competition?
Its Respect Maybe?
I mean the fact that we don't make stupid comments like... We Own you, dosn't make it not competitive, its like slander in a campign...
art is about art...
simple enough...

whirr : you can judge lit in your opiniun, but making a statment like this is bad and this is good is basicly not the spirit i want to hear in the lit scene or on any scene...
hiro said a perl to me once
I respect you on the base that you have been in here for some time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By volatile (ras2-p48.hdr.netvision.net.il - 62.0.176.172) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 11:53 am:

Disrespect Even, sorry for this poorly written text

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By revolution (dial-in25.white-marsh.aim-smart.com - 209.27.0.25) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 12:14 pm:

volatile ..

glad you said that again, i didn't get it the first time they said that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse (px1.syd.aone.net.au - 203.12.178.133) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

FUck.. Where the hell did this thread come from? :) I think its pretty safe to assume that the ascii scene is just the same as the ansi scene - this thread proves it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dangermouse (px1.syd.aone.net.au - 203.12.178.133) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 01:43 pm:

Oh and by that I mean that there are immature dicks in the ansi scene and there are immature dicks in the ascii scene -- that's life, and I'm Derren Hinch..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ACK (spider-tm054.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.197.69) on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 10:29 pm:

I used to be immature, but then I discovered Crest toothpaste. It's nummey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (melnc01.bigpond.com - 139.134.27.10) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 02:13 am:

this is more saucy than melrose place. all i need now is some pop corn. oh, ascii discussion - no one competes with remorse. oh yeah, did merlin fucking quit ascii again or what?he better not have :).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 09:50 am:

who cares anyways?? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By WindRider (ps1he.ss.wave.shaw.ca - 24.64.3.186) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 10:19 pm:

Just some plot points to catch everyone up:

1) We are indeed better than Melrose Place
2)Remorse is responsible for the stain on the dress.
3)Necromancer is really supermodel Tyra Banks. The evidence is there, go look for yourself.
4)It turns out that recent medical discoveries show the biggest problem with the y2k issue is the 'best before' date of scener sperm. So get out there and use it before it all curdles in your turtles.
5) Apt 103 is really the nerve center for the biggest prostitution ring in North America.

Those are enough secrets for now. Tune in next time when we explore just what it REALLY means when a d00dleboy is off 'squeezing the charmin'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By rippa (ppp200-as0-melbourne.alphalink.com.au - 202.164.245.200) on Wednesday, February 10, 1999 - 10:41 pm:

nice rmrs pack, pretty fucking big too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By cybergod ( - 194.23.73.98) on Thursday, February 11, 1999 - 04:31 am:

doh!

Amiga scene is smaller than the PC scene. Thus more idle. Its too small to hold 35923462852934 immature pricks ragging and making general useless comments in #ascii.

And BJ, what is there not to love about our precious amiga scene? Since many of the oldtimers and residents on IRCNet actually HAVE a life and originates in europe they might not be on or ACTIVE at those hours you come visit. The big bloom is over, yes, but the memories are still there and I will keep them with me. The PC scene will not ever reach the same atmosphere we once had.

And if you ragg down on me cause of this post, you've just confirmed the last statement above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By martyr (proxy.isdn.net.il - 192.115.104.56) on Thursday, February 11, 1999 - 12:44 pm:

yeah, remorse30 was badass indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By hiro protagonist ( - 137.82.195.62) on Friday, February 12, 1999 - 12:25 pm:

Yeah, I loved thirty.. good pack all around, and alot of peeps stepped up with some seriously talented art. We.. it feels like the Joy Luck Club all over again.. .. oh god, no.. I'm turning into a small asian woman.. hellllllppppp meeeeee...

And cG: Of course the pc scene will never have the same atmosphere you once had in the ami scene - the same way the ami scene will never possess so much of the charms I find in the pc scene I know.. they're different scenes, different hemispheres of thought, philosophy, and physical location - About all I thought we ever had in common was the transportability of our respective arts between platforms..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Pariah (207-172-40-244.s244.tnt11.ann.erols.com - 207.172.40.244) on Friday, February 12, 1999 - 04:35 pm:

The sheer number of posts in this base serves as a testament to the fact that there is competition between the existing groups in the ascii scene.

Those who are complaining about a lack of competition are probably just feeling the early symptoms of the disease known as I'm-Growing-Up-And-The-Scene-Isn't-Fun-Anymoreritis, an illness that results in a 50% departure from the scene rate 2-10 months after initial infection. Typically, victims of this disease slowly become disenchanted with the humdrum of daily scene life and gradually become less and less active until, eventually, they leave the scene completely or stop drawing and become mindless zombie-like irc addicts. Recent research has shown that I'm-Growing-Up-And-The-Scene-Isn't-Fun-Anymoreritis often starts as the result of the victim's increasing participation in the real world and/or pursuit of non-computer based endeavors.

With this knowledge in mind, if you or anyone you know seems to be suffering from this debilitating disease, I strongly urge you to notify a licensed medical practicioner, ideally one who has experience in computer art scene psychology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By volatile (ras2-p57.hdr.netvision.net.il - 62.0.176.181) on Saturday, February 13, 1999 - 05:58 am:

mom, i'm sick, help me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Necromancer (sjc-pm3-ppp62.qpt.com - 209.249.35.62) on Saturday, February 13, 1999 - 12:54 pm:

Sometimes it's difficult to balance "real-life" and "scene-life," but once you've found that balance, it makes it all the more enjoyable.

One of the things that I've always loved about the scene is the friendship. The competition is nice, but only if it's a healthy competition. I've known so many of you for so long, and I love you all like brothers. Everyone that was there from the start, you all hold a special place in my heart for making the scene a more meaningful place for me.

Now if I could only get omi to draw. *sigh*

- Necromancer
ACiD. Remorse. Your Mother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By dieznyik (ppp16013.on.bellglobal.com - 206.172.142.93) on Saturday, February 13, 1999 - 04:08 pm:

heh i got tired halfway through remorse... it was eh... somewhat boring. nice size, nothing too shitty... just somewhat bland i found.

and don't think i'm some stranger to the ascii world. at times i think i should draw more... but hey, i find it a bit stale to draw as well.

your scene has a billion times more cohesion though. that must be nice.

*yawn*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By cybergod ( - 194.23.73.98) on Monday, February 15, 1999 - 03:25 am:

Hiro: ah.. I guess the approach to whatever scene just depends on "where" you "grew up" ? :)

Wonder if I could relogin and enjoy the pc scene together with the protagonist :)

*hugs*
cG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By hiro protagonist (proxy1-external.crdva1.bc.home.com - 24.113.31.226) on Monday, February 15, 1999 - 09:39 pm:

cG: I mispoke earlier - we had two things in common across the platforms: 1) the ability to transport our art between platforms, and 2) some solid people worth knowing. :)

Anytime you want to bring it down in PC-Land there's room in my clan, and you know this - man.

nM: I wish omi would draw again as well..

Hiro

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By cybergod ( - 194.23.73.98) on Wednesday, February 17, 1999 - 03:31 am:

hiro: hehe, thank you. sure is nice to hear.
maybe I dont have to be so drastic and slahs my wrist, reincarnate, grow up ultra fast and get involved with the PCart scene from starters (I might just complain and remember old amiga times if I dont) then :)

nM: I wish I could marry you and go see FLA together in SF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By WindRider (ps1he.ss.wave.shaw.ca - 24.64.3.186) on Thursday, February 18, 1999 - 08:07 pm:

Just to drag this completely off topic:

You guys should see the stuff that's going down in the lit discussion over on lit.org. whip over to http://www.lit.org/discus and see what happens when someone decides it's their duty to judge what others can think and say.

It makes all the kiddie stuff we do as ascii nutjobs seem a little more rational. We may bitch long and loud at each other sometimes on here, but i'd like to think that even here was can respect a person's right to an opinion. That's what's entertaining aobut us. We can disagree all we want, but in the end we're still one big happy family, WITHOUT someone trying to tell us what to do.

whee!!!
i'm gonna go play outside on the swingset now. why? because i can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mankind (dialup69.kortrijk.skynet.be - 195.238.12.69) on Friday, February 19, 1999 - 02:56 pm:

i'm baked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By _hP! (van-port41.imag.net - 204.244.111.41) on Sunday, February 21, 1999 - 02:44 am:

i was baked. now i'm boked.

spread the love ascii chillun'..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Polymorph (dollar.picadoll.net - 212.28.192.52) on Thursday, March 25, 1999 - 07:20 am:

AAww fuck, I see I need to say something. There is no competition! Me and my crew, REMORSE DAMNIT, ALTHOUGH THEY LEFT ME OUT OF THE MEMBERLIST IN PACK #31, owns all YER ASSES YO. And that's a fact. Just CHEGGOUT my oldschool in #31, IT OWNS. Enough self-promotion now.

And oh, by the way, I got my self a new attitude as you can see. No more mr Cheesenut ok?

I worked 16 hours yesterday, slept 4 hours, and I've worked 7 hours today. That's the reason for my odd behavior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Merlin (ppp-tr5-09.satlink.com - 200.0.225.88) on Thursday, March 25, 1999 - 09:22 am:

The scene is ok.

so shutafackup.

Merlin, keep it original.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: