Acidapp.exe sourcecode to be released...

acheron.org discussion board: Annoucements (PACKS, ETC): Acidapp.exe sourcecode to be released...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By RaD Man on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 09:45 am:

ACiD plans to release pure and unadulterated sourcecode of it's own acidapp.exe, the ACiD Application Generator for DOS.

The code has been organized extensively over the past 6 months and we look forward to seeing it released before the end of this January. Look for it shortly on
ftp://ftp.artpacks.acid.org/pub/artpacks/programs/code/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu of Mistigris on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 04:00 am:

Give us some information.

Specifically: why should we care? What does this code do that would interest us in the slightest? We don't want to arbitrarily ignore such an announcement of clearly great import, but you're very much making us operate on faith here, and in the ansi art scene there is precious little faith remaining towards ACiD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By kittyb0y on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 10:25 pm:

fuck dos, go win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By RaD Man on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 11:38 am:

Uh. Okay.

It's been released:

ftp://ftp.artpacks.acid.org/pub/artpacks/programs/code/aagd-22s.zip {183kb}

We've released it only for the programmers who care. :)

-R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cthulu on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:21 pm:

Gee, thanks for completely not answering my question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By maestro on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 09:45 am:

I think it's pretty obvious why he ignored your question. If you're a programmer particularly interested in the details behind acidapp.exe, having the source code readily available is "some cool ass mudafukin' shiznit."

"Specifically: why should we care?" -Cthulu

Well specifically you shouldn't care because you don't code, you write poems. I don't really care because I don't code either, I work in radio. :) In conclusion, always wear clean underwear because you never know when you're going to have to take off your pants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Cth on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 04:33 pm:

I forgot that a writer can only write and not code. Whoops.
I was actually curious as to why a coder would be interested in the code, for reasons beyond it simply being code. What does this code allow you to do that is so interesting?
(I suppose to this Radman will say, "Download the acid appgen and find out, fucknuts."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By yep on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 12:56 am:

>What does this code allow you to do that is so >interesting?

all the dos stuffs are keeping scene alive in its little cave =).

in next 2-4 years noone outside the scene dunno even KNOW _what_ is msdos. or have it.
writing dos-based progs and shit like that sucks (especially when you're too tired to reboot your machine to run somethings or fuck up with all that lame mcardsettings etc., while you can have all the latest 3dshit, developed interferences and ... blah ... done already by the OS..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By gyuuygyug on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 01:22 am:

>What does this code allow you to do that is so >interesting?

all the dos stuffs are keeping scene alive in its little cave =).

in next 2-4 years noone outside the scene dunno even KNOW _what_ is msdos. or have it.
writing dos-based progs and shit like that sucks (especially when you're too tired to reboot your machine to run somethings or fuck up with all that lame mcardsettings etc., while you can have all the latest 3dshit, developed interferences and ... blah ... done already by the OS..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

I'm wondering why I've seen this announced a whole bunch of times, and yet not once was it mentioned what language this was coded in.. I'D LIKE TO KNOW.

And what's with the anonymous dos-bashing? Something wrong with giving your name? :)

As for why people like dos.. this scene was founded on ansi, which is a text-mode thing. I think if you're gonna attack dos, you'd have to attack ansi too. Unless you're advocating Linux or something.. Ansi guys could be interested in source code for dos programs, and this is the right place to talk about it. As for keeping the scene alive in its cave.. I don't quite see the point in moving the ansi scene to windows... er just forget it I'm spending way too much time trying to explain the obvious.

Let me just sum it up like this... asking ansi artists to give up the text-mode dos is like asking knitters to give up thread and needles. :)

"There are bigger better technologically cooler things out there! Do your knitting with this machine that makes clothes with the press of a few buttons!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By gekKo on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 12:24 am:

>this scene was founded on ansi, which is a text->mode thing. I think if you're gonna attack dos, >you'd have to attack ansi too.

ansi isn't dos-dependent anymore =). we all use Win so.. it's a question to make things easier and faster.
well, if ansiguys want to be underground, so let's drop acheron and all stuff concerned as internetbased =). the underground label is a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By God among Lice on Thursday, February 4, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

Well obviously, (almost) everyone uses graphical interfaces these days for most of what they do. You missed the point of my analogy with knitting, though. People still knit stuff, but it's only as a pasttime. People all wear machine-made clothes, for the most part. But some people still appreciate the act of knitting, just like a lot of people in the scene still appreciate text-mode artwork and programs.

You say ansi isn't dos-dependent... but please tell me, do you own a windows-based ansi editor? No. Do you view ansis within a windows GUI? No.

The SCENE isn't dos-dependent, but ansi is.
Clothing isn't dependent on knitting thread and knitting needles, but knitting is!

I thought this point would be absolutely obvious to everyone.. I don't see how you can argue against this.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: